I thought I’d make a list of some of my favorite storytelling tropes, particularly those of the romance variety.
What is a trope? I’m using the Tvtropes.org definition as “a storytelling shorthand for a concept that the audience will recognize and understand instantly.” Still confused? You’ll catch on pretty fast.
So, in no particular order…
- Girls disguised as boys
- Boys falling in love with girls disguised as boys
- Secret relationship and relationship reveal
- Secret family relationship (“No. I am your father!”) <—b/c the quote is NOT “Luke, I am your father.” So there!
- Enemies/rivals to lovers
- Best friends become lovers
- Culture/social class clash
- Didn’t know they were dating
- Single gay dads
- Arranged marriage/mail-order marriage/marriage of convenience
- Robin Hood-like characters
- Opposites attract (sporty/nerdy, rebel/good)
- Gay athletes/soldiers/cops/fireman (basically any gay man in a hyper-masculine job or environment)
- Pretending to be in a relationship
- Hurt/comfort and being taken care of
If you have any books/movies/tv shows that you’d like to recommend based on my favorite tropes, let me know! Either leave a comment or use my contact page.